Saturday, January 10, 2009

Strawberry ice cream rapture


Now that I've posted a non-food related blog, I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to return to my current all-consuming passion.  No, silly.  Not Shane.  Ice cream!

Haven't you learned?

Now, normally I'm a buy in season sort of girl, but I just can't get over my strawberry-almond smoothie addiction.  Thankfully, Trader Joe's sell 16 oz. packages of organic strawberries at $2.69 a pack.  We go through three or four a week and I figured it was time to put my ice cream maker to the test. 

There is nothing I love more than a good strawberry ice cream.  Unfortunately, after learning that strawberry ice cream is flavored with a solvent, I haven't been able to look at a pint without shuddering. 

Enter Ellie's fourth birthday andCuisinart.  She specifically asked for chicken noodle soup (a perfect opportunity to try my hand at homemade egg noodles), 'ferganic (organic and yes, she insisted it be organic) bread, cupcakes she could decorate herself with her nifty little cupcake decorator and strawberry ice cream. 

I didn't follow a recipe, but the resulting product inspired visions of summer and rapturous sighs. I'm rather embarrassed to tell you that I licked every spoon, bowl and kitchen aid mixer attachment clean.  I didn't save one bit for Shane...and I am nearly as passionate for him as I am ice cream.

 

Rapturous strawberry ice cream

Defrost one 16 oz. bag frozen organic strawberries.  Organic berries will taste fresher and better than conventional.  Trust me on this.

Puree in blender.

Place in mixer with two egg yolks (from pastured hens), 2 cups raw or non-homogenized, lightly pasteurized organic heavy cream, 1/4 cup agave nectar, 1/4 cup maple syrup, 1 Tb. arrowroot powder* and a pinch of salt.  Mix thoroughly. 

Place mixture in ice cream maker and process according to directions.  Transfer to container and freeze at least four hours before serving...if you can resist that long.

 There you have it.  Easy.  Quick.  Heavenly.  As a bonus, it is solvent free.

 * Arrowroot powder is a healthy, unrefined alternative to cornstarch.  It works beautifully as a thickening agent in gravies and puddings.  In ice cream it prevents crystallization.   Arrowroot is available at well-stocked grocery stores and health food stores.


No comments: